Selecting a ” good” scanner that won’t break the bank

Home Forums Welcome and Introductions Selecting a ” good” scanner that won’t break the bank

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    velmech
    Participant

Hello,
      I’m looking for suggestions for a scanner that can perform bi-directional, has some reliability history, I can keep using without a yearly subscription ( I just need to use on the vehicles that I currently own).
      The other day I saw someone doing a review on a OTC Encore, but he couldn’t get the vehicle id. I don’t know if the problem was with the operator or the machine. This was a machine in the $800.00 or so range.
      My $30.00 reader has been able to do this on every vehicle that I checked. Is the market of scanners so screwed up that it became a ” designer” market? I would like to spend around $500.00 and be able to use on a 2002 Buick Century that has a 1700-2000 RPM idle and I don’t want to just keep changing parts. Took it to 2 mechanics and they both had the same approach. keep replacing parts.
      Thank you in advance for any information that you may provide

Naughty Nate
      Participant

Yeah about $800 is the cheapest price I could find for a bi-directional tool. A 2002 vehicle might not have a ton you can do to make use of such a tool for that price. Try Torque Pro with a good up to date adapter (minimum ELM version 2.2) and you can at least get mode 6 data and one of the best at home scanner programs.

Any check engine lights? Have you checked or cleaned the idle air control? Is the throttle cable hanging up on something? Checked/tested TPS?

GeekPriest
        Participant

The Launch Diagun IV and Diagun V seem to be the best inexpensive options with at least some bidirectional capability. Launch is selling the Diagun V for about $660 on eBay, new with warranty.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.