Scan tools

Home Forums The Tool Chest Scan tools

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Wrenchmonkey
    Participant

Are tool truck scan tools just overpriced vanity items? Would I be better off with a PC based tool? And does anyone know of a Bluetooth scan tool that’s worth a damn? Just curious about what people like. Thanks!

gkellerman
      Participant

I’ve been looking for a reasonably priced <$1000.00 bi-directional Scan Tool. There was a review of a Launch unit on one of the car pages (don’t remember which one).

I think it was of the X-431 variety. The X-431 Torque is $1149.00 at Amazon and the X-431 Pro Mini is $789.00. I think the Pro Mini was the one reviewed but I can’t be sure.

Oh, on one of the videos out there was a review of a MAC Tools scanner which according to the reviewer was a rebranded Launch unit.

If you have any further information or any kind of update please let me know.

Thanks

Bill
        Participant

I’ve been researching affordable scan tools myself and was torn between the launch and autel. I settled on and just bought the launch 431 pro mini because of its cost and Bluetooth feature. Haven’t really dug into it yet as it’s just a couple of days old and I’m a weekend warrior. I will re-post again after using it a bit to let you know how it goes.

tallpilot
          Participant

https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/in-the-bay/diagnostic-repair-info/diagnostic-test-equipment/scan-tools/whitepaper/21007833/vehicleserviceproscom-2018-scan-tool-spec-guide

These guys put out this guide yearly and it is a good place to compare what the different product lines claim to do. The honest reality is an aftermarket scan tool is always going to be a compromise and none of them do everything on every car. That’s why the professionals always have more than one so they can switch to find the one that does what they need on that particular car.

If you are working on older cars the used Snap-on tools have great capability and potentially helpful repair tips depending on the model. The trick is to buy one that has a relatively recent software upgrade. The used pricing is usually about the same regardless of what version it has so caveat emptor.

For newer vehicles and moving forward J2534 pass through is the way to go. The new Drew Technologies CARDAQ-3 is relatively future proof and will allow you to have factory capability on a large number of makes as long as you buy the subscription from the manufacturer. It is around $1,600 which sounds expensive but the updates for a scan tool will exceed the price difference in a year or two.

tallpilot
            Participant

At this exact moment I think that tool (launch 431 pro mini) is the most capability for the least money and is especially good on European makes. But like all of them it won’t do everything.

disgruntledmechanic
              Participant

I have the Launch x431 pro and it is a very capable tool. But as has been said here none of them do it all.

Diagtech300
                Participant

AUTEL MS908 for me

Automechaniker
                  Participant

I just bought the AUTEL 539b , it does not do bidirectional but lets me graph and has a built in DVOM and Battery /Alternator tester. Best 89 bucks i did spend.For a more advanced scanner I will look at one with the most capabilities and the least $$$$ of subscription updates.I will probably go PC software and PICO.Regards Guido!

AU
                    Participant

I want to buy a PC based Scan Tool, please name names. I know Matt uses Autoenginuity and AutoTap but they seem outdated. I know there is some newer stuff from Autoenginuity but I don’t know if it’s any good.

RMOutlaw
                      Participant

Auto Enginuity is current (May 3, 2019) with updates. Coverage is great with Make/Model offerings. Yes there is a one time price for the manufacturer extended code sets and an annual update fee for the latest greatest. The wi/fi enabled scan tool (+ $50) will allow access via smartphone and pad/tablet which can be extremely handy if you are traveling. No need to take the laptop along.
                        Just my .02

Tom

Stiletto
                        Participant

I recently upgraded an older Autoenginuity PC-based scan tool to the new WiFi-enabled system. I see it as a major improvement over their earlier offerings. I primarily use it as a Windows-based tool but also use the iOS client as well when I don’t feel like getting the laptop. Both work well for me, my system has both the Chrysler as well as the Nissan enhanced interfaces, which offer bi-directional capabilities. Together with the PC-based PicoScope, I’ve found it to be a powerful combination.

Hedi_dxb
                          Participant

Hi fellas

Im leaving in dubai and here we receive lot of us specs salvage cars with clocked milage. I wrote to autel and Launch to ask for any scanner can read the true mileage but they say it doesn’t. And arbites refuse to answer the question as programmer use their tools to clock cars.

Any idea ?

Thanks

shadetreeAC
                            Participant

dont forget about professional pre loved scan tools. i bought a used snap on solus that has bi directional controls for 250 bucks on ebay.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.