Needing some direction rich condition

Home Forums The Garage Needing some direction rich condition

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BaughmanUSMC
    Participant

Good Evening everyone,

I am in the process of diagnosing my nephews truck. It is a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L. I am getting a P0430 code. I have hooked up the truck to my laptop running auto tap. I am running extremely rich in stft bank 2 around -35 to -40 my bank 2 ltft is at +35 to +40. When I rev the vehicle up around 2500 rpm the bank 2 stft come back up to around 0 to +5 and my bank 2 ltft comes down to around 0 to +5 which is what I think is to be what we want to see. I have taken a video if anyone would like to view it and kind of point in the direction as to what to troubleshoot. My o2 sensor for bank 2 is showing a good reading before and after the cat so I suspect the cat is good to go and the o2 sensors are doing their job. If anyone could help direct me to what to troubleshoot I would greatly appreciate it and I can also send the video I took to an email address. thank you for your time!

joevideo
      Participant

I am new at this but this is my thoughts on your problem. You know the problem is only occurring in one bank so you can just about rule out anything that would affect both banks – ie. fuel pressure, MAP or MAF sensors, coolant Temp sensor. Since you have confirmed an operating Cat on that bank I would put my money on a vacuum leak that is affecting the problem bank. Since the problem improves at higher RPM and is much worse at idle when you have high vaccuum in the intake manifold – I think its time to break out the propane tank and see if you can locate a vacuum leak in the intake manifold for that bank or a bad vacuum hose.

papers
        Participant

Hi Baughman. Just to clarify something from your post:

I am running extremely rich in stft bank 2 around -35 to -40 my bank 2 ltft is at +35 to +40

Are you saying that when idling (no extraneous throttle input) for an extended period of time the STFT and LTFT values simultaneously steady at these values? I.e. does the LTFT learned value start to drop at all during the idling session and if so where do the 2 values stabilize?

Thanks,
          Papers

frankiedon
          Participant

Hi P0430 means that the catalysts efficiency is below threshold bank 2. frankiedon

frankiedon
            Participant

When the LTFT and STFT oppose each other like that it happens after a fix has occurred and returns to normal after driving for some miles, but if that is not your case, I don’t know what the answers is. Just wanted to say that info. Thank you Frank

jkreutzer
              Participant

bank 2 is getting too much fuel… stft is -35 which means the computer is calling for less fuel to bank 2 because your ltft is +35. P0430 is the post cat sensor reporting an improper cat condition. your engine is getting too much fuel from one or more injectors on bank 2. to know for sure if the problem is specific to bank 2, check the stft and ltft on bank one. if both sides are showing – on stft and + on ltft the engine is getting too much fuel. this would be a fuel delivery problem. check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. if only one side is having the problem, check the injectors on bank 2 for leaks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.