Need help on 2007 Elantra

Home Forums The Garage Need help on 2007 Elantra

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Importech
    Participant

A little runout is ok. If it’s more than an eighth of an inch I’d be concerned.

Rkinch
      Participant

Update:
        I have been driving the car for a bit now. Temperature has been fine, but there is a code: P0011. When it warms up, it wants to stall at idle. I have replaced the variable timing sensor and cleaned the small oil filter screen twice from small metal fibers. I have also replaced the camshaft sensor. I drained the oil after 1500 miles and it has a bit of a metallic look to it.

Importech
        Participant

That doesn’t sound good. I would check the camshaft bearings as a source of metal filings.

Rkinch
          Participant

If that is the problem, what would cause it being that it is a rebuilt head?

Importech
            Participant

It could have been caused by debris in an oil passage that went unnoticed during the repair, or cam bearings that weren’t lubricated during assembly and ran dry for a minute on initial startup, or the cam bearings were questionable to begin with. I’ve personally seen the latter on cheap rebuilt heads. Improper cam bearing bolt torque can also cause problems.

Rkinch
              Participant

We removed the valve cover and didn’t see any damage to cams, didn’t see any discoloration from heat. Could it be coming from the crankshaft bearings or other components in the block? We are having a sample of the oil tested to see what kind of particles are there.

Importech
                Participant

You have to remove the camshafts to inspect the camshaft bearings, not just the valve cover.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.