MB w212 v6. Misfiring cylinder 1; OK after restart

Home Forums The Garage MB w212 v6. Misfiring cylinder 1; OK after restart

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dutch
    Participant

My MB E350 cgi (w212 2009 190.000 km) misfires in the mornings and then runs on 5 cylinders. When I restart (even after 10 seconds or so) the problem is gone. If I don’t restart the problem sticks. Two or three minutes after every start the car holds back a little for a minute. I use an iCarsoft MBll scanner and get code P0301. The car is professionally maintained. The ignition spark of cylinder one is 1857 cnt. That of the other cylinders 0 or 1 cnt. Sparkplug OK. Injector OK. Ignition coil OK. Wiring OK. Compression OK. Fuel pressure OK. No intake airleak. (LTFT b1 1,6%, b2 6,3%; STFT b1 0,0%, b2 -3,9%). Anybody got a clue?

Alex Longpre
      Participant

Does this happen every time you start the car or only if the car has been sitting for a while?

Importech
        Participant

Hi, It sounds like maybe the #1 cylinder fuel injector is leaking fuel when the engine is off, fouling the spark plug.

Dutch
          Participant

Hello Alex, thank you for responding. Only after the car has been sitting for a while. Usually for some ten hours or so.

Dutch
            Participant

Hello Importech, thank you for responding. So far no one has come up with this suggestion. It does not seem to account for the holding back every run after the engine has heated up, though. Or do you think the problems are unrelated?

Alex Longpre
              Participant

I was asking this because I’m a Mercedes dealership technician and one thing that I see happen now and then, is that when the car has been sitting for a while, the ME seems to lose trace of some of its injectors for a reason nobody seem to understand and then cuts power to that injector. The car then runs like cap and CEL stays ON until the car is restarted, then the problem goes away.

But 10 hours is too short of a downtime for this to happen.

The leaky injector scenario described above is not out of the question, we see that from time to time.

Dutch
                Participant

Solution found. Sparkplug cylinder one did not reach combustion chamber due to contamination of thread which made torque wrench click prematurely.Thread cleaned. Sparkplug in right position. Engine runs like clockwork.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.